Fruity, fluffy and wonderfully moist, this apple cake recipe is the ultimate teatime treat.
It serves one person, it’s made in a mug and takes just two minutes to cook, yes really.
Conjured up by Instagram baker @cakeontherun you only need a handful of basic ingredients to make it, including a jar of apple sauce – the type you put on your roast dinner.
We like to use a chunky apple sauce as it add a nice texture to the sponge, but if you can only get the smooth variety from your supermarket, that will still work well.
Similarly, if you want to make you own puree at home using cooked apples, go for it.
You’ll need to add a tablespoon or so of sugar to sweeten the fruit up when you stir it into the cake batter.
And if you want to give it a caramel twist, swap the buttercream with a drizzle of caramel sauce on top.
For lots more healthy food inspiration, visit our recipe page.
If you love quick and easy recipes, sign up to the Bake On Bake Off newsletter.
Packed with deliciously simple ideas everyone can try, it’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment, plus some bakes can be cooked in a microwave in under a minute.
Many of the recipes are healthy, vegan friendly and gluten free, offering a little something for everyone.
Plus there will be plenty of gossip and reaction from The Great British Bake Off when it’s on our TV screens.
It takes seconds to sign up – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Changed your mind? There’s an ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
Apple mugcake recipe (serves 2)
- 40g self raising flour
- 40g apple sauce
- 30g margarine
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Plus for the filling/topping:
- Put all of the ingredients into a mug and stir until smooth and creamy.
- Pop the mug in the microwave on high for two minutes.
- Use a sharp knife to ease the cake out of the mug and turn it out onto a plate.
- Once cooled slightly so it’s easy to touch, use a knife to cut the sponge in half.
- Spread a tbsp of apple sauce on top of one of the halves.
- Sandwich the two halves together then spread on buttercream made by mixing icing sugar, margarine and a pinch of cinnamon.
- Tuck in!
More mugcake recipes to try: