Bread and butter pudding is a traditional British dessert, yet you rarely see it on the menu in restaurants these days.
Made up of (as you might have guessed) bread and butter, as well as cream and sugar, it’s a comforting, stodgy dish and unfortunately, not ideal for the waistline.
However, Instagram foodie @cakeontherun has given the classic pud a healthy, summery twist.
Her super quick and easy recipe serves one person but can easily be doubled or tripled if you are cooking for a family.
It’s not baked in the oven, but instead her banana bread pudding is cooked in a bowl in the microwave.
It also takes just two minutes to cook, ideal for when you need to rustle up something quick for unexpected guests, or just when you’re craving something sweet and delicious.
For lots more healthy food inspiration, visit our recipe page.
*Gluten free option *Vegan option *Healthy *Low fat *Low sugar *Single serve *2 minutes *Quick *Easy
If you love quick and easy recipes, sign up to the Bake On Bake Off newsletter.
Packed with deliciously simple ideas everyone can try, it’s free and you’ll receive an email straight to your inbox twice a week.
You don’t need any fancy ingredients or equipment, plus some bakes can be cooked in a microwave in under a minute.
Many of the recipes are healthy, vegan friendly and gluten free, offering a little something for everyone.
Plus there will be plenty of gossip and reaction from The Great British Bake Off when it’s on our TV screens.
It takes seconds to sign up – simply press here, enter your email address and follow the instructions.
Changed your mind? There’s an ‘unsubscribe’ button at the bottom of every newsletter we send out.
Healthy banana bread pudding recipe (serves 1)
- 2 slices bread
- 250ml milk
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice
- Drop vanilla essence
- Small pinch of ground turmeric (If you have it. It adds a yellow colour for the custard)
- 1 banana
- Handful raspberries
- Make the custard by putting milk, flour, vanilla, sweetener and turmeric in a saucepan and mix continuously for a few minutes until it becomes thick but still runny. If you don’t want to make your own, you can use the ready made kind.
- Cut two slices of bread and pop into a bowl alongside chopped banana, raspberries and the custard.
- Microwave on high for two minutes. Alternatively you can bake it in the oven for 30 minutes on 180C/ 350F/ gas mark 4. .
- Tuck in!
Make it gluten free – use gluten free bread such as Genius. We used two slices of Tiger Bloomer from the brand’s new Gut Lovin’ range and it worked perfectly. It’s available from Sainsbury’s Tesco, Morrisons and Ocado. The range also includes an artisan loaf, white and seeded rolls and brioche rolls, which could all work in this recipe.
Make it vegan – choose a non-dairy milk such as oat, almond or coconut.